Fastnet Race 2023
The Fastnet Race is a legendary offshore sailing competition that was first sailed in 1925 and is held every two years, organized by the Royal Offshore Racing Club (RORC) in the UK. The next edition will start in August 2021. The start is in Cowes on the Isle of Wight (South England) and heads via Landsend (Cornwall) to the Fastnet Rock lighthouse off the south west coast of Ireland, then west of the Scilly Islands to Cherbourg where finish is. The shortest distance is 695 nautical miles. 300 boats participate. There is a big party on arrival.
This race is an excellent way to gain a lot of experience with everything that comes with sea sailing: route planning, meteo (weather), navigation, logbook keeping, sail choice and sail trim, spinnaker sailing long distance, steering, food ready on the road, sailing through at night, walking watch, sleeping on the road, economical use of electricity and drinking water. This is one of the most intensive forms of teamwork.
The RORC requires that 50 % of the crew must have traveled 300 nautical miles in offshore races in the 12 months prior to the Fastnet Race, on the same yacht.
For that reason, students are required to participate in the Vuurschepen Race (120 nautical miles) from Scheveningen to Harwich, England, and also the North Sea Race (180 nautical miles) back to the Netherlands.
The start of the Vuurschepen Race is from Scheveningen.
Vuurschepenrace & North Sea Race may 07 – may 16
- Friday may 07: delivery to Scheveningen
- May 08/09: Safety inspection
- Tuesday May 11: start Vuurschepenrace
- Thursday May 13: Noordzee Club Lunch at Butt & Oyster
- Thursday May 13: Prize giving at RHYC
- Friday May 14: Start RORC North sea race
- Sunday May 16: Prize giving at JCS
- Sunday May 16: back in Amsterdam
Fastnet Race 2023 aug 01 – aug 17
- Sun aug 01 : delivery cowes
- Aug 02 – Aug 07: Race Check-in
- Sat Aug 08: Start Fastnet race
- Thursday August 14: prize giving in Cherbourg
- Sunday Aug 17: back in Amsterdam
What do you get as a student?
- Guidance by a professional RYA Yachtmaster Instructor
- A fast but comfortable and 100% safe boat (41 ft, with 3 spacious cabins). Our philosophy is that although we participate in a race, we want to eat well and sleep well. So we don’t have freeze-dried meals, and we sleep when we’re not on watch, in bed, not outside on the rail. The boat fully complies with ISAF Offshore Regulations category II in terms of safety.
- Maximum six students, so that we have two guards of 3 people. There is a lot of time for personal attention from the instructor.
- Participation in 3 races: Vuurschepen Race, North Sea Race, and Fastnet Race.
- Delivery of the boat to the Isle of Wight
- Delivery of the boat after the Fastnet Race back to Amsterdam
- 25 intensive sailing days
- 1300-1500 nautical miles in your logbook
- Extensive possibilities to sail everything yourself, to navigate yourself, to take responsibility for the boat yourself (with the instructor supervising) so that you can go sea sailing completely independently after your return – we regularly rotate the roles that students have on board so that everyone is covered. No passengers on board!
- You sleep on board in shared cabins. You must bring your own sleeping bags, pillowcase and towels. Take your belongings with you in a soft bag, so no suitcases.
The total package costs € 3900, – excluding costs for the cashier.
For food / drinks / diesel / harbor dues we charge € 27.50 per day per student, which amount is deposited in the cashier.
€ 1500 pp within two weeks of the invoice date. Invoice will be sent immediately after registration
€ 2400 pp. before 01 May 2023
Unfortunately, there will be no refunds if you cancel or do not sail. However, overtaking on a regular course can be considered in consultation, but that is only possible if the place you booked during this Fastnet Race campaign is taken by someone else.
can register via the “book this course button” on this page, or by sending an email to email@example.com, or by calling Jim on 063 444 2112
General terms and conditions
The general terms and conditions of Waypoint Amsterdam apply